Monday, February 27, 2012

Your hand in mine


These are the hands that taught me what is soft and what is hard.
Showed the difference between cold and hot, explained the dos and the don'ts.
I have always had an extravagant relation with my mother's mom.
Pure love and strong misunderstandings haunted my childhood and puberty.

I was sleeping with her until I was 12, spent my summertime vacations till my 17.
She spent with me more days than with her own children, controlled her patience,
re- estimated responsibility and family affairs,
cooked for me so many breakfasts, lunches and dinners, made me gain 29 kilos in 4 months.
 
This is Mariό.

Last August she had an accident, routine for the elderly.
She is now recovering after a big stroke, trying to figure out life.
Again.
Since then she is living with me, because she believes that I take a good care of her. 
Also because she wants to make sure that I cook for her family, like she did, everyday.

She likes eating mostly candies and desserts, is a passionate vegeterian at her 82 and enjoys drinking red wine like there is no tomorrow.
Today she made her first steps, alone, after eight months.
We had to celebrate her victory against imbalance with something concise and full.
Cheers gradma'.



5 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I hope she gets better soon! She sounds like a lovely lady. Sending well wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Thoughts, my story with my grandmother is more or less the same.
    I wish you all the best and for those sweet hands a full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Στην υγειά της και στα επόμενα σταθερά και δυναμικά της βήματα!
    Και στην υγειά σου Nenou! Πάντα με καλοπέραση...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Καλημέρα κοριτσάκι... με συγκίνησες... παλικάρι η γιαγιά... είστε τυχερές που έχετε η μία την άλλη...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made my heart jump. It sounds like pure comfort being with her. My own grandmother had a spell with her health lately that caused a scare. She is doing well now, recovering. I wish you and your grandmother health and happiness—and MANY meals together.

    ReplyDelete